“All I know for sure is that we are within twenty yards of where the first bird fell.”
Kendall and I were having our best hunt of the season. We were on our fourth covey and had just witnessed an awesome point by Freckles. She had come down in some trees located on the north end of a large pasture filled with love grass. We were able to get close enough to shoot before the birds flushed. I missed twice. Kendall dropped two birds.
The downed birds would not be easy to find. Love grass makes walking difficult and finding birds extremely challenging. Kendall had kept a close eye on the downed bird until he stumbled in the grass and lost his focus. Walking on love grass is almost like walking on volleyballs. We made it to the general area where the birds went down. All we knew for sure was that we were in the general area of where we could pick up the birds.
While we stood, Freckles and Duke hunted. They worked back and forth, using their noses to search for the quail. Almost as soon as Kendall finished declaring we were within twenty yards, Duke crept up toward us as though he smelled a bird. Eventually he pointed before reaching under Kendall’s boot and grabbing the bird in question. He was standing on top of the quail we were seeking, even though we had no idea it was near.
The solution for the problems we face in life is often nearer than we realize. While we scan the horizon for a new political leader or policy change, maybe we should just allow God to change the heart of the one who is wearing our shoes. Rather than searching through social media to find the latest opinions and predictions, maybe we should consult God’s Word, which is never wrong and always encouraging. Our hope is in the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth. He is not one of many solutions. He is “THE” solution for the problems we personally face in life as well as the problems in the world that surrounds us.
Freckles found the other bird, and we were on our way. Things turned out much better than we had anticipated. They usually do when we walk by faith, even if we stumble from time to time. What a mighty God we serve!
I love you, Earl
- This Sundays Sermon “Living in Harmony” Romans 12:14-16
- Family Worship and LifeGroups, Sundays at 9:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
- GriefShare begins this Sunday, January 24 at 4:30 p.m. in the Parlor
- Precepts Class “1 John, 2 John, and 3 John” meets this Sunday at 6:00 p.m. in the Family Life Center
- TeamKIDS – Wednesdays from 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. for Bed Babies – 6th grade
- The Gathering – Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. in the Sanctuary; live streamed on Facebook at 6:30 p.m., also available on the website at: http://www.fbcweatherford.com by noon on Thursday
- Sunday, January 31 – Membership Matters Class at 10:30 a.m. in the Choir Room
- Services are being posted on the church website, the church YouTube channel at FBC Weatherford Media, and on the church Facebook page at 9:00 a.m. each Sunday.