The significance of the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead cannot be overstated. Without His resurrection, Jesus would have been no more than a delusional religious leader, filled with false opinions about Himself and everything else. If He had not been raised from the dead, Jesus would have no reason to be followed and trusted more than any other religious leader. The apostle Paul went so far as to state that if Jesus has not been raised our faith is futile, and we are still in our sins.
So, has Jesus been raised from the dead? Did Jesus really die on Calvary’s cross and then come back to life on the third day? The evidence in the New Testament certainly testifies that He did. Wishy-washy apostles became unafraid of anything the authorities could do to them. Many gave up their human lives because they would neither recant their allegiance to Jesus nor cease telling others about Him. They knew they had a better home with Him in heaven. He lived after He died. So would they.
Transformed lives fill the New Testament and surround us today. Those lives were and are changed because of the power of the living Jesus within. Any and all people whom Jesus occupies become more and more like Him because He lives within them. He couldn’t do this if He never came back to life. I remember the old hymn that asked and answered the question as to whether Jesus is really alive. “You ask me how I know He lives? He lives within my heart.”
I have been a Christian for 56 years. I have been reading and studying the Bible for most of those years. The more I consume the Word of God, the more convinced I become of the reality of who Jesus is and all that Jesus has done and will do. My devotion to Jesus is not a leap into the dark, but a basking in the light of His truth. I am not an exception. I am the norm of all who truly know Jesus as Lord.
Easter is when we celebrate not only the resurrection of Jesus from the dead, but also the resurrecting of our own sinful selves from slavery to sin and death and fear. Up from the grave He arose! Because of His triumph, we live!
He is risen! He is risen indeed! Earl
- This Sundays Sermon “Raised From The Dead” I Corinthians 15:12-20
- Family Worship and LifeGroups, Sundays at 9:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
- TeamKIDS – Wednesdays from 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. for Bed Babies – 6th grade
- The Gathering – Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. in the Sanctuary; live streamed on Facebook at 6:30 p.m., also available on the website at: http://www.fbcweatherford.com by noon on Thursday
- Services are being posted on the church website, the church YouTube channel at FBC Weatherford Media, and on the church Facebook page at 9:00 a.m. each